What is NextGen? According to their website… “NextGEN Gallery is the most popular gallery plugin ever for WordPress. Enjoy fully responsive design, a dozen gallery styles, a stunning full screen lightbox, commenting and social sharing for images, ecommerce, proofing, and more.”
Basically, it’s the photo gallery plugin to use if you need a photo gallery plugin. It’s available for free, but you can upgrade if you determine that you need more extensive capabilities. For most of our clients, the free version is sufficient.
Using your NextGen Photo Gallery:
- Log in to Admin
- From Sidebar – Select Gallery > Add Images
- To add images to an existing gallery – Select a gallery from the drop down
- To create a new gallery for your images – type in the name you want for the new gallery to the right of the drop down
- Select “Add Files” and choose the files from your computer you want to include in your photo gallery
- Once you have selected all the files you are including in the gallery, select “Start Upload”
- When the upload is complete, you can visit Manage Galleries to find the gallery and make adjustments to the descriptions
- Galleries can be sorted by drag and drop by clicking “Sort Gallery”
- A gallery page can be created by selecting “Add Page” (if a page hasn’t been linked already)
- You can choose the Preview image from the drop down.
- The Gallery title can be changed by replacing the current “Title”
- Save your changes
You can combine galleries into one Album. This is helpful when you are displaying multiple pictures that update on a regular basis. When a gallery is in an album and new images are imported, they automatically show up in the album as well.
Example: Portfolio (Album) -> Website Design (Gallery)
If I add pictures to the website design gallery they show up in our “Portfolio Album” since “Website Design Gallery” is included in that album.
- Select Gallery > Manage Albums
- To create an album type the name of the album in the box
- To select an existing album, click on the drop down box
- To add a gallery to your album, drag and drop it in the order you want it to show up.
- Select “Update” to save your changes
If you need more extension instruction on modifying your NextGen Gallery WordPress Plugin, you can visit their website here: NextGen